The Sun is the fourth favorite to win the WNBA title in 2023. The Sun knows what it takes to get to the finals, and they have retooled and, along with some familiar faces, could wind up back in the WNBA Finals for the third time in five seasons.
Here are some things to consider when betting on the Connecticut Sun in 2023:
- The Sun has a strong defense. They ranked second in the league in defensive rating and surrendered the second-fewest points per game in 2022.
- DeWanna Bonner is a veteran leader who can score and dish the ball. She’ll be expected to be the leader on both ends of the floor.
- Jasmine Thomas is a solid point guard who can run the offense and defend multiple positions. She scores and facilitates but can’t shoot a lick from downtown.
- The Sun has a new head coach in Stephanie White. She has a lot of experience in the WNBA and a good track record of winning, leading the Indiana Fever to the 2015 Finals.
Overall, the Connecticut Sun should be a team to watch in 2023. Connecticut will feature a new and hopefully more robust offense under new coach White and have a good chance of returning to the Finals and maybe even winning the title.
The Sun will have to replace a ton of production from last season’s roster, and Thomas will have to be the big girl in the gym.
The defense may slip a bit without Jonquel Jones and Williams on the floor, but Brionna Jones is more than ready to raise her offensive level. The Sun has enough experienced players and returnees to be a solid favorite to win a WNBA title in 2023.
Here are some tips for using sports betting odds and implied probability to your advantage:
- Follow and Read Beat Writers: Beat writers know everything about the teams they cover and freely and willingly share their information through their columns and social media. You’ll learn more about a team from a beat writer than you will from listening to any talking head or national writer.
- Track Injuries: The WNBA is a small league with a few stars alongside solid role players, and an injury to a starter or key reserve can usually lead to some reasonable value. The beat writers are an excellent place to begin, as is the WNBA website.
- Manage your bankroll. The season might be only 40 games long, but managing your bankroll is the most essential strategy. Typically, you should wager no more than 1-4% of your bankroll on any one bet.
- Consider the matchups. Look at the individual matchups between players and see who has the advantage. For example, if a team has a dominant post player, they may be able to exploit a team that doesn’t have a good interior defender.